Kentucky Regulations Regarding the Movement of Household Goods (intrastate)


Portable small home in CA

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Dept of Vehicle Regulation, The Division of Motor Carriers regulates household moves. The carriers must publish their tariff with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Each carrier’s tariff submission identifies their various services and related charges. The carriers are then held responsible by The Division of Motor Carriers for adhering to these published rates and following the policies and procedures as set forth by the Cabinet.

Intrastate Movers are required to have a KY “DMT” also referred to as a DVR license to perform a local move and to operate in the state of Kentucky. Intrastate moves (Intercity or local) are either charged by an hourly rate for labor and equipment, or a flat rate per room, depending on the company’s tariff. If the move is over 25 miles, it is priced by weight of the shipment and distance. In addition, there are additional charges for packing, overtime, etc.

One important thing to remember is that you make sure your local mover carries workers compensation insurance and the proper licensing on equipment and vehicles.

To find out more on tariffs and/or determine if the carrier is licensed, you may contact the Cabinet directly or visit any of the following links.

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet

Division of Motor Carriers

200 Mero Street Frankfort, KY 40622

502-564-4127 ext 5353 Division of Motor Carriers

Valuable links:

 1. Household Goods Carriers FAQS.

2. Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s website’s “household goods” section.

Call, text or email me with any questions, or if you need a Realtor to sell your home and/or find your next one! 502.807.4999 

Photo courtesy of and Telstar Logistics


%d bloggers like this: